Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Working from Home


Saturday mornings are my time to get caught up on any business-related matters I wasn't able to finish during the week - usually editing.

J and Biggest Brother go to the skatepark and the other kids veg out at home.  It's the only morning of the week that we don't have school or church, so I don't feel too bad about retreating to my office with a cup of coffee and letting the kids entertain themselves for a couple of hours.

Luckily, they don't have any trouble with that - ha. 

Of course, there are interruptions.  The idea that you can actually work while working from home with small children is hilarious.  But for the most part, I just listen to make sure the sounds I'm hearing don't necessitate intervention.

This particular morning, I had had several requests for help with bathing suits but was assured there would be no actual water involved, so I straightened straps and sent them on their way.  Not long after, I began hearing indistinct chatter and giggles punctuated by repeated, loud thuds.

It didn't immediately warrant an investigation.  The sounds were happy, and the overall noise level was about a 6 on a scale of 1-10.

If 1 is total silence and 10 is uproarious laughter - both of which indicate they are definitely doing something they shouldn't be - the middle of the road is a pretty safe place to be.

I was curious, however.


  Upon coming downstairs, I didn't find anything too out of the ordinary.  Though this did seem like a rather odd way to watch cartoons.
That luminous rectangle on the wall was only a momentary distraction, however.  They were actually all lined up to take turns jumping off of the armrest "diving board" into Bubby's blue blanket "swimming pool."



That's a cannonball.


I have to give them props for imagination.  And they didn't make a mess - so double bonus there.

(I should also give a shoutout to our sweet, old dog, who is by now so unperturbed by their antics that she can relax absolutely anywhere.)

 At one point, someone did land poorly and took a set of knees to the teeth.  So they decided they should probably be more careful . . .


That outta do it.
I mean - safety first!


Carry on!

~

And I did actually get a little bit of work done - huzzah!







No comments: