Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Unnecessary, Sweet

The kids apparently overheard me on the phone, griping to J about dropping a ridiculous amount of money at CVS after the insurance company doubled the cost of Younger Brother's asthma meds from last month to this month. As I stood in the kitchen making dinner, Biggest Brother, Younger Brother, and Big Sis came down the stairs and told me to close my eyes....

"Surprise!" they said, as they presented me with a tub full of change that the three of them gleaned from their piggy banks.
"It's to help with the taxes!"
(Okay, so they didn't quite understand the conversation...but I got the point anyway.)
And while I am going to sneak their offering back into their banks, it was awfully sweet of them to be so generous!
***
Children have a way of humbling a grown-up. And on a like note, I got to thinking about my conversation with J. While I'm not at all thrilled about the exponential price increase, I was missing an important reason to be grateful. I am grateful to live where I have access to medical care for my children, and where I can easily obtain lifesaving medication for Younger Brother's very treatable condition...when that's not the case for many people in many other parts of the world.
It would still be okay with me if the insurance company would redact that price increase though. ;)

No comments: