Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Birthday Garden

Biggest Brother's birthday request was a new garden to grow his new plants in. So he and I headed out back while everyone else was napping and got to work. I have to say, I underestimated exactly how much work it is to break ground on such a project. And mid-day on an 88 degree day with about 8000 percent humidity may not have been the best time to do it. Nevertheless, I was determined to deliver!

There's something a little unnerving about a 9 year old wielding a pick ax!
We took turns every time one of us got tired.
He actually did a great job.

I didn't know until after the fact that wetting down the ground might have made this a whole lot easier. Oh well.

We got through it...

and ended up with quite a nice little stretch of growing goodness.

Brother planted his Hasta plant in the corner and six strawberry plants.
And added the finishing touch of a little white fence lining the perimeter.
He was quite excited about the finished product, and I have to say, I thought it looked pretty darn good myself.
Now to water and wait for a harvest...we hope!


1 comment:

Britni said...

What a great idea! I am sure he loved this!! Happy Birthday Biggest Brother :)